I starting planning on making this quilt for my daughter who was in her final year of secondary school around this time last year. I was madly gathering fabrics and researching how to do this quilt, the options are almost endless.
Firstly I consulted Heather and we decided on greens and blues and the design was to include a heart in the centre of the quilt. I began the search for the pattern which lead me to http://www.generations-quilt-patterns.com/storm-at-sea-quilt.html for the pattern. I then found another site which included lots of variations of the design by the placement of your colour, they also had a doodle sheet. So with this in hand I printed off a few copies and retrieved the derwent pencils and off I went as though I was back in kindergarten experimenting again. It was great, I was able to work our different colours to be used and how to do the heart. I then proceeded to gather more fabric as I now new what I was doing thanks to http://www.generations-quilt-patterns.com/storm-at-sea-quilt.html.
I was finally started sewing this quilt. I was using freezer paper foundation method. I had done the heart for the centre and was working on the rest of the quilt, I was quite happy with the heart and when Heather saw it she decided the quilt needed four more hearts in the corners, well I had only calculated enough fabric for one heart so off to the shops again. I had purchased the two fabrics for the hearts from two different stores, both not too far away luckily. So with enough heart fabric in hand I continued making blocks for the quilt. The size had been determined with one heart and once we decided to add the other four hearts we realised it would look strange if it didn’t have an equal amount of distance between the hearts within and around the border of the quilt. At this stage I thought I had cut enough fabric….but no I hadn’t so back to the cutting table again. I would continue making quilt blocks.
It was obvious that I didn’t have floor space large enough to lay this quilt out, but by now Heather had finished her final year at school and had received a very good atar score which would enable her to get into Melbourne University to study Bachelor of Arts. So the hunt was now on for her and her sister to find a house to rent in the suburbs of Melbourne. It only took a couple of weeks to find a house. Because Heather was now in Melbourne I could use her floor space in her bedroom, it worked but still wasn’t really big enough. By this time I knew I needed 399 blocks and the final third of the quilt after all of the hearts were made became a jigsaw with the colour placement, when I got down to the final 98 I had a colour plan of the blocks and. It them out specifically, this took extra time.
Armed with all of my blocks made and took them and all of my pins to my local community centre where I spend my Wednesday afternoons with my this that ‘n chat group. I laid out all of the blocks and then rearranged a few until I was happy with the mingling of the colours. Photos were take and I then pinned the blocks in their positions and brought them home. Over the past week I have been slowly putting these blocks together.
Today was the final countdown, with only a few rows to sew I went to my Tuesday quilting group and sewed the final few rows, it is now a pieced top. I will be putting a thin border around to help rest the eyes.
The next stage is to load this onto my quilting frame. I am going to hand quilt this and am hoping to have it done by our local quilt show in start of May.
This has been a wonderful and fun quilt to do, I have enjoyed every stage of this quilt journey so far.